What, you're tired of lists already? No? Good. Me neither.
1. The Princess Bride: I know it's a cliche, and I don't care. When I first met Shaun, he had never seen this, and while we were watching it, he poked fun at something or other, and I blew up at him. Apparently I'm terribly protective of my favorite movies.
2. Strictly Ballroom: a gorgeous movie. Truly. Australian. Ballroom dancing. If you haven't seen it, you really should. Fran is so a grand heroine.
3. Harold and Maude: Okay, so not everyone loves this movie, but everyone should. Like The Sound of Music, It's a Wonderful Life, and The Wizard of Oz, we should all watch this movie at least once a year. It's kind of like Dead Poet's Society, but better. Much better.
4. West Side Story: I mean, obviously. Music, dancing, New York City, Jets and Sharks....
5. Frida: I love Salma Hayek, and I love Frida Kahlo even more. I know this movie is not perfect, but I think it's lovely in many, many ways. I love the gold powder on the trolley.
6. Like Water for Chocolate: A critique of tradition, and in some ways of romantic love. This movie makes me happy when I have time to sit down and enjoy it: the musicality, the humor, the food...
7. Raise the Red Lantern: I saw this in college; it was my first subtitled movie. It is gorgeous and haunting and sad and Chinese.
8. To Kill a Mockingbird: There's not much sexier than Atticus Finch shooting a rabid dog. Or maybe that's just me.
9. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy: All the others were so serious, I had to add a comedy. This one is so over the top ridiculous, it's hard not to laugh all through this movie. My favorite is how Ron Burgundy curses. For example, "Great Odin's Raven!" It's brilliant.
I don't get to go to movies very often, so when I do, I'm mostly just happy to be out at a bona fide theater. I enjoyed Beverly Hills Chihuahua, for heaven's sake. But these nine are all very, very dear to my heart. What're your favorite movies?