14 August 2008

Questions I can't answer

V and I are on vacation. My in-laws are in Vegas, so she and I decided to guard their lakehome while they're away. It's tough work, but someone has to do it.

In the end, we'll have been here 2 nights and 2 1/2 days alone together by the time the family returns tomorrow night. The last time we were both away from V's daddy this long, he was in California and she was three months old. We've been pretending we're having a three-day party, where she can drink lemonade, and I can drink lousy pre-made pina coladas, and we can swim into the night and eat pizza on the dock. I'm not sure which of us is having more fun.

I didn't bring the camera cord to hook into the computer, so photos will need to wait. You'll have to use your imagination.

I've been trying to help her be excited to be outside (though the lake helps a lot in that department) so I've been talking to her about different trees, and loon calls, and anything else we notice outdoors. Today she pointed to a spider and looked at me expectantly, asking "What's THAT?" "That's a Daddy Long Legs," I answered, confident in at least this species of spider*. She totally stumped me with her follow up question, though."Where's the Mama?"

*confidence which, it turns out, was misplaced, as they aren't even spiders. Stupid internet, always proving me wrong.

1 comment:

Dawn Mason said...

I love how kids this age classify things. Megan always tries to find a "Mommy" and a "Megan" in whatever we are looking at. She'll want a Mommy leaf and a Megan leaf, or rock or cloud or anything. I love seeing things in that way now.