14 June 2009

Sprinkler weather

I remember the thrill on those hot Hendrum days when mom (at least I think it was mom) put the sprinkler in the middle of the yard and turned it on. We had one of those metal ones that swished water on one side, then up and over to the other...you know what I mean? And we'd literally run through the water, leaping over the metal bar...except when we missed, and tripped, and hurt our toes. But otherwise, it was exquisite.

So yesterday around 12:30, V and I went to the playground where there is also a wading pool, which opens at 1:30. But I forgot so she didn't wear her swimsuit, and when all the other kids at the playground ran over to the pool at 1:25, I had to get V back in the car to go home. Feeling like a bad mama, I offered the consolation sprinkler, which V had never done before. She was immediately interested, even though I don't own one of those old-school metal ones.In fact, the one we have doesn't even move. It took her a little while to warm up to its watery goodness.

But soon she was running like she'd been doing it her whole life.

Oh, summer: I do love you.

No comments: