02 March 2012

Crafty Fool

Because Shaun started his new job today (whoo-hoo!) I felt I could allow myself to go to a craft store again, so long as I was careful and thoughtful and not my usual crazy, grabby self. My sister had mentioned that JoAnn's had diaper making supplies now, including a snap-setter, and I wanted to check it out.

The three of you who've been reading since the beginning may recall a brief mention of our cloth-diapering times, when I made all the diapers V wore throughout her diaperwearing. It was rewarding, and kind of fun, and V heard a lot of the hum of the sewing machine even while in utero.

But it was hard freaking work, too. Almost all the supplies had to be purchased online, or, if you're as cheap as me, bought at the local discount fabric shop and made to work, somehow. The little hand-set snaps available would never have held up to diaper use, nor would the sew-on kind, but an industrial snap press was $100, and though I nearly caved three times, I resisted temptation and used velcro instead.

So it was with mixed emotions that I found a fabulous diaper-making section in JoAnn's, now that my baby is 6 1/2 years old.
The snap press is what I had dreamed of: handheld (as opposed to the industrial kind, which was...bigger), solid metal, and under $20 (with my 40% off coupon, it was about $12; after reading the online reviews, I wouldn't pay much more than that, but I've had really good luck with the 8 snaps I've installed so far...).  V's diapers would've rocked even MORE if I'd had one of these puppies back then. So I thought to myself, well, it's still a neat tool. What else could I use a snap-press for?
 I make some of V's clothes, and it will be handy for those, certainly. And then I was looking at some yellow denim my friend Robin gave me, and I thought, hm...I think I'll make a braclet.

So I made three.

Bracelets above, from top to bottom: using some of my precious tulip ribbon; one of my favorite fabrics ever; and a reversible "believe/create". They're all reversible, actually. Look at those pretty snaps! (The snaps don't come with the pliers: I bought the blue/red/green pack for $8, with another 40% off coupon, so about $5 for 30 complete snap sets).
 Extreme close-up of the "create" side. Clearly, my machine's tension is way off (Emily, can you fix that for me? Or Jennifer? Or anyone?), but it makes almost a baker's twine look of the stitching. I kind of like it. And also, I learned it's really hard to write words using a sewing machine. Worth it, but hard. I'm also envisioning lots of crazy, mini-quilt-for-your-wrist possibilities. I may never leave the basement, at this rate.
I was so excited to make this one, I didn't even change the thread color.

In retrospect, I wish I would've bought the industrial press 6 years ago. I mean, if this $20 purchase holds up, that's awesome, but I'm liking putting snaps on things so much I may have to quit my job and become a professional snap setter. Oh, snaps, where have you been all my life?

So what other words should I attempt to make into bracelets? What do you want your wrist quilt to look like?

No comments: